Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Giving Thanks


It's so weird, I have such a great life, such good friends, such wonderful relationships with all my kids. I seriously have it made. Just finishing up an MFA with a promising young manuscript.

I even take the time to appreciate it all, you know that? I, an atheist, regularly used to give thanks. Honestly, I'm all neo-American about Thanksgiving. I've always admired the way Americans actually incorporate the ritual of being thankful into their regular lives. The cute way they cite the things that make them happy when ask to make a speech about what we're thankful for.

Amidst the gratitude and optimism, it's hard not to become embittered some moments of the day. 

What am I thankful for? I'm tempted to say something barbed and poignant, like "I'm thrilled to fucking death not to be actually dead at this moment."

But the moments tick by, it's simply true.


No comments:

Post a Comment